Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Running with the Squat

Faith:
2 Peter 1:10, 11 NIV
"Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

As I read this this morning the thing that stood out to me the most is the Jesus emphasis on the "eternal kingdom"  I get so caught up in the day to day life that I forget this.  I feel sometimes like I live in a ground hog day kind of routine.  I forget to live for the eternal.

Living for the eternal is something that God has spoke to me so much before, and it makes me a bit sad how easily I forget.  Life is so short and if I am just trying to get by without thinking of eternity I am missing out on divine appointments that God has for me.  This could be a conversation with a friend that I would rather avoid or taking to a stranger at the store.  I do know that if I have my mind on eternity I will be more open to what God have for me in the here and now.



Fitness:

For the last weeks when I have gone for a run I have been incorporating doing squats in to my runs.  I have ran 2 miles doing 50 squats every .5 miles and I have also ran a mile doing 10 squats every minute.  This has been a really fun way to mix up running.

I think that squat is one of the best exercises that you can do.  Its something that we all do every day to some degree.  I have heard a lot of people say "I can't squat I have a bad knee" Or something like that.  I think that the issue really is understanding the mechanics of the squat and understanding your own "sticking points"  What I mean by this is that you might now be able to squat because you have tight hamstrings, hips, or ankles.

Ok here is the challenge, try some squats tomorrow :)


Here are two awesome vids to help with the fundamentals of the squat and one that helps to fix sticking points.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkczkPm5emE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY


2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I have been thinking lately what it means to value what you term "the eternal." This verse stuck out to me: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Colossians 3:23. It take a lot of thought and meditation to know how can work for the Lord, which means valuing the things that don't have an immediate use or money value.

    Thanks for the info on how to accurately do squats. I really want to make this part of my running/workout routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I love that verse too. It can be hard to live out though....

    ReplyDelete